Friday, August 20, 2010

Does Quilting Count?

It seems like I have been off the internet for weeks! I have been a bit busy these last several days. I tried to check the blogs before work - sort of skimmed through. Not enough time to even comment on anything. :( Hopefully, this weekend I can finish some things up and get back to normal. Garin, my sister's boy, will be here in two hours. He will be staying until his daddy gets off work!

But, I do have pictures...

On Tuesday I got to visit Miss Alivia ~


What I have learned - babies do not develop the ability to suck, swallow, and breathe until about the 34th week in utero. Preemies should not be patted or stroked. The nervous system causes them to feel pain. They add 1ml per feeding. Her stomach is about the size of her fist. It is easier to regulate a babies temperature in an isolet by the baby wear nothing but a diaper.

So how is Alivia? She's doing absolutely wonderful! She has gained an ounce and now weighs 2lbs 10 oz. Her IV has been removed. She can wear  a onese now - clothes! Her body temperature is holding well. Hopefully this weekend she can begin to learn to nurse. And that means maybe sometime soon she could have the feeding tube removed! She is now 1 week old! Oh, and when it comes time to feed - wow - she can kick and get upset! She's going to be a pistol!

Keri had plans to have me help her make a couple of quilts for Alivia. On the night she had to go to the hospital - she had the fabric in the car. It got  to ride to the hospital and finally came home this Monday. Well, some one needed to make the quilts and it sure isn't going to be Keri. So, She asked me to go ahead and make what ever I wanted. She had considered 9 - 7"x10" blocks. Making one large 9 patch. I changed that up a little...

Here's where I went with it ~
I still have to dig out the batting and add the pastel pink flannel to the back and then finish. It's not cross stitching but, I think it counts.

I think I feel a nap coming on.
Smiles - Denise

8 comments:

Parsley said...

Thank you for the update. Praying for this precious one.

Jane said...

So pleased to hear everything is positive and sending lots of hugs to this little one to reach that goal when she will be able to come home.
Send my best wishes to your sister too, tell her I've been there and know how worrying it can all be but premature babies are little fighters and they progress really quickly xxx
Your quilt is gorgeous, clever Auntie Denise, enjoy your nap!

jayne@~an eye for threads~ said...

so good to hear everyone is coming along nicely. wooooo hooooo! What a sweet auntie you are. Nice job with the quilt. Have a great weekend and don't worry if you don't have time to stitch, there is always the next 50 years...
Be always in stitches.

Jan said...

What a beautiful quilt top you have created for the new lil one. Know it will be appreciated. Praying for this lil one and hoping she gets better each and every day and they will be able to bring her home soon.

natalysneedle said...

Thanks for the update. I am so happy that Alivia and mom are doing well. You don't realize how tiny they really are until you see that gigantic pacifier in their months. The quilts are beautiful and I am sure she will treasure them forever.

Sue @ Smiffy's Blog said...

Hi Denise, thanks for popping over to my blog, it's very nice to meet you. I have just had a quick nose over both of your blogs, I am so pleased that the baby seems to be doing so well.The babies quilt is lovely, I hope your sister is better now too. Take care Sue x x

Stitchy Mc Floss said...

Such great news about little Alivia. Bless her always, and Mother, too. I love your quilts. I love the colors and design. What a wonderful gift. You are so talented. Blessings always.

Pumpkin said...

She's so sweet :o) I didn't know any of that information about preemies. Wow!

Those are going to be adorable quilts Denise! I love the colors :o)